|Instruction to authors
1. Aims and Scope: The “Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology “is the official scientific quarterly publication of the National Nutrition & Food Technology Research Institute (NNFTRI). This Journal covers multidisciplinary research concerning nutrition and food technology. IJNSFT publishes original research, review articles, short communications and letters to the editor not previously published or simultaneously submitted for publication elsewhere including national and international Journals.
2. Submission: Always submit three copies of the article and two sets of photographs, illustrations, diagrams etc to the mentioned address. Manuscript must be accompanied by a covering letter to the Editor-in-Chief, including title and author(s) name and undertaking that it has not been published or submitted elsewhere. Manuscript should be typed in double space on one side of the A-4 size paper with clear margins on both sides. Tables as well as illustrations should be typed and drawn on a separate paper. In case of electronic submission of the manuscript the authors must declare that it is being exclusively contributed to this Journal. The text should be submitted in Microsoft Word format as an attachment. The figures should be sent in a format of JPEG or GIF which will produce high quality images in the online edition of the journal. Submission is also acceptable via Journal URL: www.nsft.sbmu.ac.ir
3. The manuscript should include: Title page; the Abstract; Introduction; Materials & Methods; Results; Discussion; Acknowledgement and References.
4. The title page: The complete title of the manuscript, the name of all the authors with their highest qualifications, the department or institution to which they are attached, address for correspondence with telephone numbers, e-mail, and Fax number.
5. The Abstract: It should be structured as Background and Objectives, Materials and Methods, Results and Conclusions The abstract should contain maximum 250 words (spaces) followed by a maximum 3-5 keywords (including multiple words), describing the backbone of the manuscript subject based on Mesh.
6. Introduction: This should summarize the purpose and the rationale for the study. It should neither review the subject extensively nor should it have data or conclusions of the study.
7. Materials & Methods: This should include exact method or observation or experiment. If an apparatus is used, its manufacturer’s name and address should be given in parenthesis. If the method is established, give reference but if the method is new, give enough information so that another author is able to perform it. If a drug is used, its generic name, dose and route of administration must be given. For patients, age, sex with mean age ± standard deviation must be given. Statistical method must be mentioned and any general computer programme used should be specified. The Info system used should be clearly mentioned.
8. Results: It must be presented in the form of text, tables and illustrations. The contents of the tables should not be all repeated in the text. Instead, a reference to the table number may be given. Long articles may need sub-headings within some sections (especially the Results and Discussion parts) to clarify their contents.
9. Discussion: This should emphasize the present findings and the variations or similarities with other work done in the field by other workers. The detailed data should not be repeated in the discussion again. Emphasize the new and important aspects of the study and the conclusions that can be drawn from them. It must be mentioned whether the hypothesis mentioned in the article is true, false or no conclusions can be derived.
10. Acknowledgement: All contributors who do not meet the criteria for authorship should be covered in the acknowledgement section. It should include persons who provided technical help, writing assistance and departmental head who only provided general support. Financial and material support should also be acknowledged.
11. Tables: In limited numbers should be submitted with the captions placed above. Do not submit tables as photograph. Place explanatory matters in footnotes, not in the heading.
12. Figures: Should be in limited numbers, with high quality art work and mounted on separate pages. The captions should be placed below. The same data should not be presented in tables, figures and text, simultaneously.
13. References: All manuscripts should be accompanied by relevant references. The author should ensure reference to locally published studies by doing proper literature search. It may not be possible for the editor and reviewers to check the accuracy of all reference citations. To minimize such errors author should verify references against the original documents. The reference should provide the following information as stated in the presented models as follows: Article: Kavouras SA, Panagiotakos DB, Pitsavos C, Chrysohoou C, Anastasiou CA, Lentzas Y, et al. Physical activity, obesity status, and glycemic control: The ATTICA study. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007; 39: 606-11. Chapter: Mnn JI, Lewis – Barned NJ. Dietary management of diabetes mellitus in Europe and North America. In: Alberti KGMM, Zimmet P, Defronzo RA editors. International textbook of diabetes mellitus. 2nd ed. Vol 1. Chichester: John Wiley and Sons; 1997: 759 – 71. Book: Ralph A, Garrow JS, James WPT, editors. Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 10th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone 2000. p. 1831-8. Proceeding: Hoppel C. The role of carnitine in normal and altered fatty acid metabolism. Am J Kidney Dis 2003; 41 suppl 4: S4-12.
14. Proof Reading: A computer print out is sent to the corresponding author for proof reading before publication in order to avoid any mistakes. Corrections should be marked clearly and sent immediately to the Journal office.
15. Abbreviations and symbols: Use only standard abbreviations. Avoid using them in the title and abstract. The full term for which an abbreviation stands should precede its first use in the text unless it is a standard unit of measurement.
16. The corresponding author: Will be supplied with 5 free issues.
17. Ethical guidelines: Ethical considerations must be addressed according to the IJNFS policy.
18. Conflicts of interest: Conflicts of interest must be addressed according to the IJNFS policy.
19. Page charges: There are no charges for publication in this Journal.
20. Copyright: The entire contents of the IJNSFT are protected under international copyrights. This Journal is for your personal noncommercial use. You may not modify copy, distribute, transmit, display, or publish any materials contained on the Journal without the prior written permission of it or the appropriate copyright owner.
21. Peer review process: All manuscripts are considered to be confidential. They are peer-reviewed by at least 3 anonymous reviewers selected by the Editorial Board. The corresponding author is notified as soon as possible of the editor decision to accept, reject, or require modifications. If the manuscript is completely acceptable according to the criteria set forth in these instructions, it is scheduled for the next available issue.
22. Disposal of material: Once published, all copies of the manuscript, correspondence and artwork will be held for 6 months before disposal.
23. The Editorial Board of the Journal, reserves the right to accept or reject the article in any stage and any time or delete a part of the text, tables or figures, if necessary
24. The Final Checklist: The authors must ensure that before submitting the manuscript for publication, they have taken care of the following:
1. Title page should contain title, name of the author/co-authors, their qualifications, designation & institutions they are affiliated with and mailing address for future correspondence, E-mail address, Phone & Fax number.
2. Abstract in structured format up to 250 words.
3. References mentioned as stated in the Instruction to Authors section.
4. Tables should be typed on separate pages.
5. Make sure for headings of tables, their numbers and captions of illustrations. Do not repeat the information in tables if it is covered in the text.
6. Photographs / illustrations along with their captions.
7. Manuscript in triplicate
8. Letter of Undertaking signed by all the authors.
9. Disclosure regarding source of funding and conflict of interest if any besides approval of the study from respective Ethics Committee/Institution Review Board.
10. Covering Letter
11. Floppy disk (latest version of windows) for on-line edition
Iranian Journal of Nutrition Sciences & Food Technology
P.O. Box: 19395-4741, Tehran, Iran