[Home ] [Archive]   [ فارسی ]  
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
this is a test
Main Menu
Home::
Journal Information::
Articles archive::
For Authors::
Subscription::
Contact us::
Site Facilities::
Webmail::
Ethical Consideration::
::
Search in website

Advanced Search
..
Receive site information
Enter your Email in the following box to receive the site news and information.
..
:: Volume 18, Issue 4 (Winter 2024) ::
Iranian J Nutr Sci Food Technol 2024, 18(4): 39-55 Back to browse issues page
Food Security Map of Households in Urban and Rural Areas of Khuzestan Province, Iran
M.R Pakravan-Charvadeh * , S Hosseini , F Mohammadi Nasrabadi , R Ferdosi
Associated Professor, Department of Agricultural Economic and Rural Development, Lorestan University, Iran , pakravan.m@lu.ac.ir
Abstract:   (608 Views)
Background and Objectives: Due to the significance of establishing a food security plan and atlas within globally recognized institutions to enhance monitoring of nutrition conditions across various regions and countries, the current study focused on creating the latest, comprehensive food-security map for households in urban and rural areas of Khuzestan Province, Iran.
Materials and Methods: Using random sampling method, a total of 3381 questionnaires were collected from urban (1909 questionnaires) and rural (1472 questionnaires) areas within Khuzestan Province, Iran. These questionnaires were administered via face-to-face interviews. The level of household food security was assessed using standard questionnaire of the household food insecurity access scale. To assess the annual consumption of food items and convert it into daily intake, standard household income-consumption questionnaire was used. Food intake status of the households was calculated using food content table.
Results: Findings indicated the presence of a divided society in the province, primarily affected by the level of per-capita income and its distribution. Results revealed a contrasting situation, where malnutrition was prevalent on one end while overeating was seen on the other end. Based on the data, approximately 37% of urban households in Khuzestan Province had high food security, while the remaining of 63% experienced various forms of food insecurity. Of urban areas, Shoush had the highest level of food security reaching 62%. It is noteworthy that 38% of households in this city faced food insecurity. In the rural areas of Khuzestan Province, Shadgan had the lowest percentage of food secure households at 13%, followed by Izeh at 15% and Bandar Mahshahr at 18%.
Conclusion: It is suggested that the drawn maps be used to review and adjust the policies regarding food security and nutrition provision for households in Khuzestan province. Furthermore, these maps can contribute to the development of a sustainable strategic model and a roadmap for targeted investments by the government and provincial officials, taking into account the geographical context.
Keywords: Map of food security, Macronutrients, Micronutrients, Khuzestan, Iran
Full-Text [PDF 916 kb]   (127 Downloads)    
Article type: Research | Subject: nutrition
Received: 2023/07/11 | Accepted: 2023/11/21 | Published: 2024/01/2
Send email to the article author

Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:

CAPTCHA


XML   Persian Abstract   Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Pakravan-Charvadeh M, Hosseini S, Mohammadi Nasrabadi F, Ferdosi R. Food Security Map of Households in Urban and Rural Areas of Khuzestan Province, Iran. Iranian J Nutr Sci Food Technol 2024; 18 (4) :39-55
URL: http://nsft.sbmu.ac.ir/article-1-3704-en.html


Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Volume 18, Issue 4 (Winter 2024) Back to browse issues page
Iranian Journal of  Nutrition Sciences and Food  Technology
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.05 seconds with 37 queries by YEKTAWEB 4645